The scene "Comatules" was inspired from real comatules living between Africa and Australia.
It used Lightwave 9 and Photoshop. I also used F-Prime to get realtime feedback while lighting and texturing which was a great help.
I first started with the ground. I created a plane, subdivided it (Shift+D), turned it into a sub-patch (TAB key), then modified it by moving a few points and using smooth shift (shift+F) (image1).
The main tentacles was next created from just boxes joined together using the bridge tool (Construct\Combine\Bridge), all in sub-patch (image2).
After working more on those 2 parts, I put them together and modified them in order to have the tentacles rest on the floor. I also added some medium-sized rocks which were made of some smooth deformed boxes (image3).
When finished with that, I started working on one of the comatule. I created some points, made a polygon of them (P), extruded it. Then using the Knife tool (Shift+K) I added more faces where I needed it (image4).
After moving around some points, I selected the points of the bottom part of the comatule, then applied a "Jitter" deformation (Modify\Transform\Jitter) to add some randomness (image5).
next page >