I included many different elements such as buoys, tires, barrels etc., in the scene (Fig.09).
All the elements used simple shaders like Lambert or Blinn with the exception of the water surface, where I used Mia_material_x. Most of the textures were layered one at the top of another, and then I projected on geometry. I even used and layered procedural maps like Fractal, Cloud or Noise.
Only a few objects had unwrapped UVs; I knew it would be very time consuming to unwrap all of them, and I was pretty happy with the result of projections (Fig.10).
The textures for many of the pieces were custom made color, bump and specular textures that I created in Photoshop (Fig.11 - 12).
For the ocean, I used Maya ocean, but only for creating the displacement map. I didn't like the look of the ocean shader in the render, so for shading I used Mia_Material_x with higher reflectivity, tinted blue. The ocean shader was then plugged into the displacement slot of the shading group. The result looked much better and more realistic (Fig.13).
< previous page next page >