Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'The Marauder'

By Casper Thomsen
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
(35 Votes)
| 83615 Views
| 6 Comments
| Comments 6
Date Added: 1st September 2011
Software used:
3ds Max, V-Ray

Post-Production:

With my render done, I started out by making general changes to the color of my materials and slowly started to add dirt to the different parts. I used different dirt images I found on websites like CGTextures or in my Total Textures collection and used the different layer blending modes to overlay them on top of my render. I used my Wacom tablet with a Grunge brush to mask out some of the areas in order to create some diversity (Fig.11).

1035_tid_Fig_11_Dirt_pass.jpg
Fig. 11

For all the scratches I made a new adjustment layer that was masked to only affect the red metal and desaturated it so the metal became white and blank. I then made a layer mask and filled it with black so I could paint my scratches in the mask. This allowed me to work in a non-destructive manner and delete some of the scratches I didn't want.

I created a custom brush that had a very noisy border and made the size of the brush react to how hard I was pressing down the pen on my tablet. I then started to paint all the scratches and edges. To create a sense of thickness to my metal paint, I gave my scratch layer a little drop shadow with a distance of 0 to create a faked Ambient Occlusion and make it look like the scratches actually peeled away some of the paint and exposed the metal underneath (Fig.12).

1035_tid_Fig_12_Scratches_Dropshadow.jpg
Fig. 12

The decals were first created inside Photoshop (Fig.13), then UVW mapped onto the model inside 3ds Max and then rendered where the entire model is black and the decals are white. This allowed me to quickly overlay them inside Photoshop using the Screen Layer blending mode. I then created a layer mask and used my scratch brush to chip some of it away.

1035_tid_Fig_13_Decals.jpg
Fig. 13

I made some adjustments to the lighting using a classic warm/cold combination where the warm color comes in from the left and then turns into a cold color on the rim light on the right. This makes the image a bit more dramatic and also was a great supplement to the red metal of the Marauder.

I made the eyes and armor glow by first filling them with a white color and using Gaussian Blur to make the glow effect. I then came in with a soft brush and painted first a very orange glow around it and then a dark red to create the effect that the light is actually hot. This also meant I had to paint light on some of the edges that my fake light would hit (Fig.14).

1035_tid_Fig_14_Glow.jpg
Fig. 14


I also used the Dodge tool to create highlights on the tubes that are connected to his chest and weapons in order to help them differentiate from the dark colors behind them. This also added some more interest and helped show the diamond pattern (Fig.15).

1035_tid_Fig_15_Tubes.jpg
Fig. 15

The background was made using some different grunge layers I found on the CGTextures website and the same goes for the smoke coming from the canons. After the background was done, I made some last minute color corrections and added a vignette and called the project done (Fig.16).

1035_tid_Fig_16_Final_result.jpg
Fig. 16

To sum the project up, it was a great ride. I learned so much and the project resulted in something I'm very proud of. The reception of the image on the internet has been astonishing, and the acceptance into the 3DTotal galleries was mind-blowing and has been a great motivation ever since.

I hope you enjoyed reading this Making Of and if you have any question regarding the project, feel free to email me and I'll try to respond as fast as I can.




< previous page
 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: ZBrush, Layers, Character,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (3)
Comments 1 Views 6536

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: pinocchio, steampunk, inventor, machine, gepetto,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 27860

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: bug, machine, insect, concrete mixer, industrial,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 85931

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: Robot, Project, Making of, Lighting , Hard-surfacing, Render, ZBrush, Photoshop

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star nonerating star none
Comments 2 Views 28432
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 54824, pid: 0) James on Thu, 27 October 2011 4:03pm
This is a firebat, not a Marauder. Anyway, great work man! Rigged for animation would be awesome!
avatar
(ID: 53313, pid: 0) Stenionet on Wed, 12 October 2011 1:35am
You really know how to use photoshop.
avatar
(ID: 49747, pid: 0) Peter Kvarnstr�m on Tue, 13 September 2011 12:03pm
Excellent Jonas! Thanks for showing your workflow!
avatar
(ID: 49528, pid: 0) Hersh58 on Fri, 09 September 2011 12:18pm
so good .but why all of artist use vray mental ray is better
Munkybutt's Avatar
(ID: 49288, pid: 872214) Gersith (Forums) on Mon, 05 September 2011 11:57pm
excellent
avatar
(ID: 49255, pid: 0) Asdolino on Mon, 05 September 2011 11:07am
Goob, but STOP Starcraft style.
Add Your Comment