I did some test renders in XSI, which you see here. That way I could see if the texture has the right direction everywhree and if the folds are not too big or too small. Later I switched back to max and vray. In the final picture, the material of
the molerat has SSS, perhaps too much, so that the texture is visible just a little bit.
I textured the objects, layering different textures over each other and drawing lines on the edges to make it look less random. Some of the textures I used were tileable, others were not so I used the method of smoothing edges and copying the piece in order to put the texture across the whole UVW.
With this method you won't have the tiling effect, just the edges remain slightly blurred but if you set the smooth radius low, it won't be visible much.