The Cell Phone (Fig 21)
There are a lot of Boolean operations involved with this one. Since (again) the image was not intended for animation, the topology was not so important. I started out by finding some good reference images on Google. I actually came across a good one which had the front, rear and side profiles on it, and I also happen to have the same phone myself, which is also why I made this one. I should have made a "PPBL" though because it's much prettier and more interesting to look at. The image above is not exactly the same as the one I have, as it's perhaps an earlier version of the same phone (Fig22).
I cut the image up in Photoshop and positioned and applied to it some planes, as I did before with the character. Since I made this model a couple of months ago I don't have the actual images that I used now, but you should be able to follow what I did, and I have used the phone's 3D model to compensate for this. I started out with the front of the phone. I drew a plane using the front view, and converted it to polygons. I then cut some edges over it, using the slice plane tool, and edited it until it sat over the image correctly. I then moved to the side profile and edited it so that it also aligned well with the side profile (Fig23).
With the front part done I could then easily do that silver line running around the cell phone, by extruding faces and tweaking them into the right shape. For the back part of the mobile, I did exactly the same thing as for the front part, using a reference image of the back and side profile. That was the hardest part, and from there on in it was just a matter of cutting out the places where the screen and the buttons were supposed to come, using the Boolean. By using Booleans you can easily make the buttons by using the edges around the holes to create splines, by using the Create Shape tool in the Editable Polygon pull-down menus. I extruded those splines and used the Chamfer tool to chamfer the edges around the buttons (Fig24 - 26).
< previous page next page >