Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making Of '65 MYA'

By Vlad Konstantinov
| Your Rating:
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
(0 Votes)
| 50632 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 9th December 2009
Software used:
3ds Max, Photoshop, V-Ray, ZBrush, Misc

At this stage I had already realised that the composition and concept of my picture were incorrect. The work was too simple and not interesting. And it was at this moment that I had a problem. My computer could not render more objects and textures, which is why I went on and continued my work in Photoshop only. So I rendered Ambient Occlusion, ZDepth and an alpha-channel in 3ds Max, and then used the different combinations of these maps for the creation of the atmospheric effects in Photoshop.

First I added the sky and the forest in the background (Fig.10).

381_tid_fig10.jpg
Fig. 10

I then painted some reflections on the water and added several tropical trees which I took from photos (Fig.11). During the work I always played with gamma and tried to select the best variant.

381_tid_fig11.jpg
Fig. 11

Some of my friends told me that they found sky too grey and very simple, and so I made some changes to it (Fig.12).

381_tid_fig12.jpg
Fig. 12

I later added more detail, such as pterosaurs in the sky, the tree on the left and the lizard on the trunk. The image of the tree and of the lizard I took from photos, and the pterosaurs were painted by hand in Photoshop. I also added some small details here (like making the dinosaur legs look wet, for example) (Fig.13).

381_tid_fig13.jpg
Fig. 13

All this time, I was continuing to work with the lighting and colour gamma (Fig.14).

381_tid_fig14.jpg
Fig. 14

I didn't like the cover of the trunks in my picture and so I tried to correct it by hand by painting cracks and general roughness in Photoshop (Fig.15).

381_tid_fig15.jpg
Fig. 15

At this stage I had already represented how the final image would look, and I could tell with confidence that the work was doomed to be a failure. The picture looked lifeless and the composition looked unbalanced - all because I was too lazy to spend more time working with sketches at the beginning. It was therefore necessary to change the concept of the picture at this stage and to think about how to get rid of the problems in the image.

The simple and effective decision came from one of my friends. He suggested that I add a flock of small dinosaurs running away from the T-Rex. This was a great idea! Such an element was able to add more life into the picture and moreover did not change its basic concept. For these small dinosaurs I chose Ornithomimids. I painted them in Photoshop, and added some splashes and waves on the water to describe the movement (Fig.16).

381_tid_fig16.jpg
Fig. 16

With this change done, I still felt that the composition looked unstable, and it was at this moment that I realised the mirror when flipped horizontally looked much more interesting and dynamic (Fig.17).

381_tid_fig17.jpg
Fig. 17


So I flipped the image and added some deeper shadows, finishing up some details like duckweed, moss and more appreciable waves on the water (Fig.18).

381_tid_fig18.jpg
Fig. 18

A coniferous tree branch in the top right corner of the image was added to counterbalance the overloaded left-hand side, and this was the last element added to the scene to complete the image (Fig.19).

381_tid_fig19.jpg
Fig. 19

And that's all! I would like to admit that I was lucky with this image and had the opportunity to correct my error. However, such an opportunity doesn't always occur, and so I would once again like to mention the importance of the pre-production period.

Thanks for your attention; I hope this article has been interesting for you to read. Many thanks!




< previous page
 
1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: Making of, 3ds Max, ZBrush, Birthday, Scene

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (31)
Comments 2 Views 33526

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: scene, landscape, painting, sci-fi,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 1 Views 23956

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: blast, core, scene, night, water,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star nonerating star none
Comments 2 Views 157759

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, creature, dinosaur, carnotaurus,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 29671
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 239153, pid: 0) Amumu on Sat, 14 December 2013 6:59am
Every good
Add Your Comment