Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making Of 'Flamethrower S.U.'

By Andrei Cristea
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(1 Votes)
| 38585 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 8th December 2009
Software used:
3ds Max, V-Ray, ZBrush

For this next step I made a bit more use of 3ds Max. It is a lot easier to do hard surface modelling in Max than ZBrush, and I recommend using Polyboost if you're box modelling in Max! I imported a lower-res version of the model from ZBrush to use it as reference. I had to go with a different gas mask design than the one that I initially planned because the full head model was harder to bend and place onto the chest. The straps were very easy to make; I used the shell modifier to give them thickness at the ends (Fig.07).

323_tid_07.jpg
Fig. 07

When detailing in ZBrush I was trying to give a suggestion of the objects inside the bag, and so I made sure I took these into account when I was creating the folds (Fig.08).

323_tid_08.jpg
Fig. 08

I wanted to give a weapon to the character as well, to make it more interesting and give him a bit of a back-story (Fig.09). So he became a medic with a gloomy past, going on the rampage with a flamethrower! Gas masks also go hand in hand with flame throwers! I added some damage to the tubes and made some quick details on the hose (Fig.10).

323_tid_09.jpg
Fig. 09

323_tid_10.jpg
Fig. 10

I assembled everything together in ZBrush. I created layers for the objects that I knew I would modify, in the case I needed to go back to the standard pose. I then used Transpose Master to pose the model. Some modelling was necessary to correct the parts that didn't deform properly, and I also had to redo the folds that were not flowing in the right direction, according to the new pose (Fig.11 - 12).

323_tid_11.jpg
Fig. 11

323_tid_12.jpg
Fig. 12


The rendering was done in V-Ray. I decided to take the entire model into Max, but this was a problem for me because I only had 2G of ram. A workaround was to split the model into different files, ticked "display as a box" option before saving, and imported them as xrefs into the main scene.

The lighting setup was very simple and consisted of just two area lights (Fig.13).

323_tid_13.jpg
Fig. 13

With the final image I went for a simple and clean look. I wanted the details to be easy to read so that the work that had been done in ZBrush would not be wasted (Fig.14)!

323_tid_14.jpg
Fig. 14 - Final Image

Thanks everyone for reading. Cheers!




< previous page
 
1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: MODO, AMD, Character, Female, Tutorial

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (9)
Comments 1 Views 12384

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: ZBrush, Maya, Photoshop, character, figure

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 4458

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: human, anatomy, ear, body, modo,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
Comments 1 Views 52941

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, human, jouster, female,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 45197
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment