Because I knew that later I would sculpt some parts of the characters with multi-resolution in modo, I retopologized the mesh. I selected a ZSphere, then went to Rigging and Select Mesh. I chose the mesh I wanted to retopologize, then went to Topology and clicked Edit Topology. I lowered the draw size to 1 and was ready to go. (Fig.03)
Now that I'd finished retopoligizing the head, I pressed Make Adaptive Skin with density 1. I could find the new mesh in the Tool menu and with the Move brush I refined it a little (Fig.04).
I followed the same steps to make the body. DynaMesh'ed a PolySphere and retopologized separated parts for the main body, boots and gloves (Fig.05).
I open the head and body parts in modo. Then, I scaled up the head to fit the design; it needed to be huge in comparison to the body. To make some parts, such as the eyes, teeth, belt and cloak, I started with primitive shapes. Modeling was simple and the tools that I used were Bevel, Extrude, Loop Slice and Transform. Where I wanted edges, I made some extra loops because I would use modo's subdivision surfaces (sub-d). You can go to sub-d mode by pressing the Tab key (Fig.06).