Before working on the hair, I considered what could be separated to make things easier. So I made three systems for the body hair: one for the head, another for the face (short hair), and a third one for the body. Based on the concept, I highlighted the main streams in red and the secondary ones in blue.
Demonstrating the fur direction
Developing the fur
While developing the fur, I reviewed my references and picked up some main features, like flow, variation, congeries, brittle strands, and more. This made the fur more natural. To get the final render, I made 7 tests. You can see five of them on the image here.
Testing the renders of the fur
For this scene, I used only two lights: sun+sky, and a back light.
The simple lighting set-up
To complete the composition, I used NUKE
. While creating the background, I cut multiple trunks, plants and flowers from secondary images, and I diagramed them on top of a parent image. This image contains the cuts that were created to improve the scene's depth.
On the composition I used the Beauty, Ambient Occlusion, Reflect and IDs passes. On the image, you can see the Point Position and Normal passes that were rendered just in case I needed a relight.
At the end these were not used.
The passes used in the creation of the image
I hope this making of article can help you with your studies. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to
See Thales Simonato de Oliveira's portfolio over on his site
The Blue Monkey
scored a massive 1,183 points
in June's gallery competiton
We have a range of ZBrush eBooks
that may help you create your own animal