The ground was textured with photos I made from the sandy streets in my hometown. All photos were arranged and composed over the test-render of the scene. I made the textures for front-projection. The bump-map was made from the color-map, but before it could be used on the bump-channel, it had to be backed to an atlas-UV
Rendering was made in 3 passes. One of the passes was used for the complete scene, without the donkey and the grass. For each, the donkey and the grass, separate scenes were setup.
The scene for the complete render was based on the scene made for the model-creation. I used one Area-Light as the sun, coming from the left. As usually I used only this one light and Radiosity. The ocean in the background, was composed with photos taken in Spain, the sky used self-made photos and a few sky-images from various Total Textures CD's.
For the donkey, the first scene was altered: All objects but the ground were removed. Since Sasquatch was used for the donkey-hair, the area light was changed to a spotlight, Radiosity was turned off. A higher ambient light the ground, the alpha-channel was set to "Shadow Density
The scene-setup for the grass was almost the same as for the donkey-scene. To place the grass I painted a black and white density-mask in Photoshop for front-projection. This map was backed onto an UV-map, so that Sasquatch could use it.
In Post-production all elements were composed with the help of the alpha-map. Some minor mistakes in the image were corrected by painting. Color and the contrast were changed, also a very subtle blur effect was added.
That's it. I hope the overview was of any interest for you. If you have any additional question, feel free to contact me via my homepage.
< previous page