Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'Aaaa!'

By Yaroslav Primachenko
| Your Rating:
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
(0 Votes)
| 50468 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 8th October 2009
Software used:
3ds Max, Photoshop

Unwrapping and Texturing

I unwrapped the model and imported it into ZBrush, where I made almost all the texturing and also tweaked the geometry a bit (Fig.04).

379_tid_fig.04.jpg
Fig. 04

I made diffuse, reflect, and normal bump maps for the character and also an opacity map for the carrot. The bump map was also used as a specular map - with just a few tweaks right in 3ds Max. I added some textures to the diffuse map in Photoshop, using different blending modes to make it look more interesting. Then I decided to make some clothes for the character, in addition to the hat, boots and a tie he already had, to close any possible joints of texture on the body-hands parts and also add some extra visual interest. I searched the internet for appropriate references and found a picture of a jacket I thought would fit him perfectly.

Lighting

The lighting was pretty simple (Fig.05). I used a V-Ray plane light for the main diffuse source (1), standard 3ds Max target spot with diffuse turned off for some extra specular (2) and also two target spots (3,4) to separate the character from the background and add extra reflections where I wanted. I also used an HDRI map for the reflection slot in the environment rollout.

379_tid_fig.05.jpg
Fig. 05


Posing, rendering and applying post-effects

I was pretty happy with the result at this point, and was already thinking about making some final renders, but didn't like the fact that the work suffered from an obvious lack of dynamics and the character didn't look as insane as I sure wanted him to (Fig.06). I thought it was due to the dull T-pose he was in, which didn't match his personality at all, and I sure wanted this character to speak for itself. I didn't want to do any rigging so I switched back to ZBrush and posed the fellow according to his temper with the help of the brilliant ZBrush tool "transpose" (Fig.07). The tie, the jacket and the boots were then "posed" in Max according to the body with the help of a FFD modifier.

379_tid_fig.06.jpg
Fig. 06

379_tid_fig.07.jpg
Fig. 07





< previous page next page >

 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: ZBrush, Photoshop, Project, Female, Character

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (1)
Comments 0 Views 4002

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: Maya, ZBrush, Maquette, Creature

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 11523

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: cartoon, creature, scarecrow, hat, eyes,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 30965

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, creature, wraith, scene,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
Comments 0 Views 23057
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment