Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making Of 'Horn Monster'

By Rodrigue Pralier
| Your Rating:
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
(0 Votes)
| 41731 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 9th December 2009
Software used:
3ds Max, Photoshop, mental ray, ZBrush

For the render I used Mental Ray with the regular skin shader. The geometry inside 3ds Max was quite light so I used a normal bump to get all the detail information from ZBrush, and I added a noise bump to get some finer skin pore details.

The textures used for the head and the horns were 2048*2048 because my PC at home wouldn't support larger textures (Fig.08).

313_tid_Fig.08.jpg
Fig. 08

I'm not a lighting specialist so generally I just put my lights in the direction I want and then I do all my tweaking inside Photoshop (Fig.09a - b).

313_tid_Fig.09a.jpg 313_tid_Fig.09b.jpg
Fig.09a                                                                         Fig.09b

I usually work with separate renders for all lights, but to continue with the "fast" idea that I was going with for this piece, I made just three passes this time: the complete render, object colour (for selection in Photoshop) and the occlusion pass (Fig.10).

313_tid_Fig.10.jpg
Fig. 10


And then it was all just 2d work to finish up. I added a blurred picture of a cave for the background, I tweaked the colours and contrast, and so on. I also painted in the fire flies. One idea I had was that the monster was emitting some kind of ultra sound to attract the bugs, but then sound isn't something you can show, so I added some blue circles around his head to illustrate the idea - it's subtle but I like the effect (Fig.11).

313_tid_Fig.11.jpg
Fig. 11 - Final Image

Overall this piece took me around 8 hours from start to finish during my free time. I'm happy with the overall feeling and colours; the purpose wasn't to go into too much detail, but more to enjoy doing something personal and to take a break from work.

Thanks for reading, I hope you've enjoyed this article.




< previous page
 
1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, creature, goblin,

Go to tutorial
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (0)
Comments 1 Views 67384

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, warrior, creature,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 37801

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, monster, horror, tongue,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 39732

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: judge death, creature, monster, skeleton,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 2 Views 144833
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment