The second part to be modeled was the helmet. I used the same process as I'd used for the shield, to keep the shape.
For all parts of my base mesh I used the same workflow, always leaving the concept in the viewport as reference.
Before making the details I did the low poly character first of all; it gave me more freedom to adjust the proportions more quickly and more practically.
Once the base mesh was ready with all the parts, I gave the model a more a general look before starting to detail. To help me adjust the proportions and silhouette, I turned on the light of the viewport without any light in the scene. This left me with a black shader that allowed me to see the silhouette of the character perfectly.
High poly modeling
With the base mesh ready, I took the model into ZBrush where I added the details to the high poly. This was the moment where I loaded all my SubTools and organized everything.
Just like in Maya, I started by modeling the shield in ZBrush. To make the ornaments I masked some parts and used the Inflate deformation. For the more organic parts, like the face of the shield, I used the Clay Tubes, Standard and hPolish brushes to sculpt.
For all the other parts of the model that had ornaments, I used the same process to make the design with the mask and then used the Inflate deformation.
For extruded parts, I used a mask and the Inflate deformation, and Polish to smooth.
To create a rusty metal texture, I used NoiseMaker > Erosion. And to add in some irregularities, I used the Clay Tubes brush with low opacity on the surface.
< previous page next page >