Fig.16 shows an AO, which is done using a VRayLightMtl with VRayDirt in the color slot. I was unable to put a bloom effect directly onto the raw render. I tried different things (I'm sure that I did something wrong!) and I finally decided to render the effect in another Max file. Basically, I removed all the lights and I put four new lights into the headlights. After that, I added a VRayLensEffect. Now I had a bloom effect that I could use in post-production (Fig.17).
I also had a ZDepth pass to add some depth of field.
Next I opened the RAW, and I created a new folder that I called "AOs". One of these AOs was blended as Multiply at 75% and the other one was blended as Overlay at 10%. This improved the render a bit; the environment in particular looked much better (Fig.18).
Secondly, I added levels and contrast and did some color correction. I warmed up the image a bit. Then I created a new folder called "Headlight" where I put two layers, one in Screen mode at 85% and the other one in Linear Dodge (Add) mode at 60% (Fig.19).
Finally, after some Levels, adding noise, depth of field and lens correction, I got the final composition (Fig.20). I also added a scratches layer on the top of that.
I hope you found something here helpful!
< previous page