- Create a new document with 4096x4096
- Fill the document with a light gray (R:202, G:202,B:202).
- From the Filter menu choose Add Noise from the Noise sub menu.
- Set the Amount to 25%, Uniform distribution and turn on Monochromatic.
- Save it as "body_specular.PSD".
Skin Material 3
With the "body_specular" and "body_glossiness" textures created in the previous step, along with the "body_epidermal" and "body_subdermal" textures created in the second chapter, we will set up the skin material (Fig.15).
- Open the Material Editor (press M).
- Choose a Material Editor slot and press the Standard button. Choose VRayFastSSS2.
- Under General Parameters change the preset to Skin (pink).
- Increase the pre-pass rate to 0.
- Under Diffuse and sub-surface scattering layers, change the diffuse amount to 0.65, change the scatter color to R:89 G:23 B:10. Also change the scatter radius to 1.6cm.
- Under Specular layer, change the specular color to a very light blue (R:214 G:255 B:255). Increase specular subdivisions to 10. Turn on trace reflections and lower the reflection depth to 3.
- Under Options, increase the single scatter subdivisions to 12.
- Under Maps place the "body_diffuse.PSD" in the diffuse color slot.
- Place the "body_specular.PSD" in the specular amount slot.
- Place the "body_glossiness.PSD" in the specular glossiness slot.
- Place the "body_subdermal.PSD" in the sss color slot.
- Select the body object and apply the material.
Trousers Material 1
Let's create the material for the trousers (Fig.16).
- Open the Material Editor.
- Choose a Material Editor slot and press the Standard button. Choose VRayMtl under V-Ray Adv 1.50.SP5.
- Under Reflection, change the Reflect color to gray (R:108, G:108, B:108).
- Set the Refl. glossiness value to 0.45.
- Turn on Fresnel reflections.
- Lower the Max depth to 1 to speed up the render time as inter reflections are not very noticeable with this glossiness values.
- Under Maps click on the Diffuse slot and from Maps/Standard pick Falloff.
- Click Falloff to set its parameters.
- In Falloff Parameters, in the Front: Side section, place the "trousers_diffuse.PSD" created in Chapter 2 in the upper slot.
- In the lower slot, click the color swatch and set it to a light blue (R:137, G:165, B:199).
- There is a Mix Curve at the bottom. Manipulate it in order for the light blue to only appear at grazing angles (you can check the curve in Fig.16).
- Select the trousers object and apply the material.
Trousers Material 2
If you remember, in Chapter 2 we placed some trouser straps in the trousers texture. It is time to apply this texture and set the UVs to the straps (Fig.17).