I also made the third bottle with a box. Again I converted it to Editable Poly, added new edges and dragged the vertices. I then duplicated the previous bottle, changed its proportion and dragged out the vertices (Fig.32).
I wanted to have a towel to hang over the brace below the bottles. Because I was going to make the towel with Cloth Modifier, I hid the objects that were not going to be affected by the simulation. I then decreased the level of the objects that were going to be included in the simulation.
I created the towel's outline with a rectangle and generated the surfaces at a suitable density with the Garment Maker utility. I then assigned Cloth Modifier for all the objects which were going to be added to the simulation. I defined all the objects as Collision Object, except for the towel, which I used a Wool Preset for. I created a group by choosing vertices that were in the same position as the upper part of the brace and supplied a hold to the brace at the time of the contact with the Sticky Surface command.
From the first simulation test, I could see that the level of detail was not enough. So in order to add more detail to the fabric, I entered 100 units to cm/unit value under Simulation Parameters. I then ran the simulation again and ended up with fabric with much more detail. I then used Shell to increase the towel's thickness and also used the HSDS Modifier to subdivide the surfaces and give the cloth a smoother look (Fig.33).
To make the curtains, I created a simple line and added new vertices with the Divide command in Segment mode. I pushed the points to the front and behind randomly, with Noise. At this point it was important that the Line/Vertex type was smooth to achieve a softer look and, if needed, I was able to turn back to Segment mode and apply the Divide command again to get more vertices.
After I'd added depth with Extrude, I increased the number of Segments and softened the upper side by selecting the vertices at the sub part and using Volume Select. To wrinkle the curtain and make it looks more natural, I applied Noise and made some slopes with FFD Modifiers (Fig.34).
Next was the turn of the ceiling cornice - the bit of detail where the walls meet the ceiling. After activating Snap mode, I created the main line with a rectangle and then drew the section with a line. After selecting the main line, I create the cornice with the Sweep command and applied it by using the Use Custom Section/Pick command to select the section that I'd drawn. I was able to fix any alignment problems with the Pivot Alignment commands and Edit Spline helped to fit the cornice above the windows (Fig.35).
At this point I decided to start arranging the objects I'd modeled in the room. To position the furniture, I used the helper objects (Point and Dummy) and Align and Snap commands (Fig.36).
After positioning the furniture, I moved on to modeling the carpets. I made the big carpet with a plane, making it wrinkles with a low value of Noise, giving thickness with Shell and softening the form with TurboSmooth and by changing its angles. When I applied Noise to the object, I also built up the surfaces with Garment Maker in order to achieve a smooth look. Once I'd finished the big carpet, I copied and pasted the Shell and TurboSmooth Modifiers that I'd used onto the next carpet (Fig.37).
I modeled the toy basket from a cylinder. I created a sphere for the oval part at the upper side and deleted the intersected surfaces after converting the two objects to Editable Poly. After merging the objects, I closed them up to each other and merged the open edges with the Bridge command. After selecting the vertices at the upper side, I then applied Noise to give the basket natural wrinkles.
I assigned Edit Poly to the object in order to create handles on the near side. After dragging the surfaces with Extrude, I merged the ends with the Bridge command. I then gave a gravity effect by dragging down the vertices. I supplied Extrude after selecting the surfaces and widened it a little bit to create the bulges on the upper sides. After selecting the surfaces, I also applied Extrude for the ears.
I created the surfaces of the inner side with the Inset and Bevel commands and deformed with the Paint Deformation tool. In order to drag the ears downward, I used Soft Selection and afterwards I used Paint Deformation to get the final form (Fig.38).
< previous page next page >