Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'The Lantern'

By Khadyko Vladimir
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(29 Votes)
| 73473 Views
| 2 Comments
| Comments 2
Date Added: 15th November 2012
Software used:
3ds Max

The Claytubes brush was the best way to make all the dents and small details on the concrete (Fig.08). The next step was to bake a Displacement and Cavity map, which I put over the Diffuse map with opacity of 15 - 20%.

1622_tid_8.jpg
Fig. 08

Everyone knows how birds love things like cornices, balconies and, of course, street lamps! They like to use these places a little like a public toilet! Because of this I decided to add some of this kind of detail on the lantern for more realism (Fig.09).

1622_tid_9.jpg
Fig.09


For this task I used ZBrush. Two subtools were created, but I offset the second one with a negative value in the Deformation tab of the Tool palette. With the Standard brush I started to paint some smudges and add more detail to them so they could be placed in different areas and look unique. I also applied some surface noise. One of the lower subdivision levels was exported, unwrapped and returned to ZBrush so I could bake Displacement and Cavity maps. For the material I used a Vraymat with the base settings and a Cavity map in the diffuse slot, but in the render it looked very dark. Blending this material with a vraylightmat solved this problem.

For the environment lighting I used a HDRI that gave a nice blue color to the scene. All the other lights were yellow with some variations. The background was lit with two spherical V-Ray lights. The windows were planes with vraylightmaps on them. Only the upper left room had a light sphere inside it.

For the lantern I used three different light sources (Fig.10). The main task was to avoid over-burning the lantern's interior. A V-Ray light sphere was placed inside the light bulb and only affected the bulb's glass, which had a dirt mask in its refraction and glossy slots. I then used omni lights for the light on the environment around the lantern. This made the lighting very easy to control.

1622_tid_10.jpg
Fig.10

All of the post-processing was done in After Effects because I really like the Replace Footage function. It's much easier to re-apply all of the effects to an updated render than to do it all over again in Photoshop if you find something you want to change. Everything I did was pretty regular; contrast adjusting, color correction, some glow and adding depth of field. I hope that you have found this interesting.

1622_tid_11.jpg
Fig. 11


< previous page
 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: Project overview, Alice in Wonderland, Scene, Character

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (6)
Comments 0 Views 3622

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: Arch-viz, Making of, City, Scene, Sci-fi

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 1 Views 30169

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: object, human, hand, cyborg,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star halfrating star none
Comments 2 Views 157803

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: Robot, Project, Making of, Lighting , Hard-surfacing, Render, ZBrush, Photoshop

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star nonerating star none
Comments 2 Views 28550
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 167907, pid: 0) Deadland on Tue, 20 November 2012 7:08pm
Nice piece of work!
avatar
(ID: 162232, pid: 0) Pat Woolven on Thu, 15 November 2012 9:14am
I have been working in 3-D using camera and Video short film making it look like a collage to me may if you thought about you image as a collage you would get better results
Add Your Comment