Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our bi-weekly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.


- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2

For this next step I made a bit more use of 3ds Max. It is a lot easier to do hard surface modelling in Max than ZBrush, and I recommend using Polyboost if you're box modelling in Max! I imported a lower-res version of the model from ZBrush to use it as reference. I had to go with a different gas mask design than the one that I initially planned because the full head model was harder to bend and place onto the chest. The straps were very easy to make; I used the shell modifier to give them thickness at the ends (Fig.07).

Fig. 07

When detailing in ZBrush I was trying to give a suggestion of the objects inside the bag, and so I made sure I took these into account when I was creating the folds (Fig.08).

Fig. 08

I wanted to give a weapon to the character as well, to make it more interesting and give him a bit of a back-story (Fig.09). So he became a medic with a gloomy past, going on the rampage with a flamethrower! Gas masks also go hand in hand with flame throwers! I added some damage to the tubes and made some quick details on the hose (Fig.10).

Fig. 09

Fig. 10

I assembled everything together in ZBrush. I created layers for the objects that I knew I would modify, in the case I needed to go back to the standard pose. I then used Transpose Master to pose the model. Some modelling was necessary to correct the parts that didn't deform properly, and I also had to redo the folds that were not flowing in the right direction, according to the new pose (Fig.11 - 12).

Fig. 11

Fig. 12

The rendering was done in V-Ray. I decided to take the entire model into Max, but this was a problem for me because I only had 2G of ram. A workaround was to split the model into different files, ticked "display as a box" option before saving, and imported them as xrefs into the main scene.

The lighting setup was very simple and consisted of just two area lights (Fig.13).

Fig. 13

With the final image I went for a simple and clean look. I wanted the details to be easy to read so that the work that had been done in ZBrush would not be wasted (Fig.14)!

Fig. 14 - Final Image

Thanks everyone for reading. Cheers!

1 | 2
Related Tutorials


Making Of 'Sabretooth'

Keywords: character, sabretooth, xmen, adam sacco,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (18)
Comments 0 Views 116232


Joan of Arc: Bust Armour

Keywords: character, modeling, joan, arc,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 64051


Making of 'The Special One'

Keywords: character, creature, fantasy, mole, armor,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 32209


Making of 'The Sky Fisherman'

Keywords: model, sculpt, turtle, kids, fantasy, fisherman,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 55639
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment