Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our bi-weekly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

 

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Making Of 'Chieftain'

By Alander Alexei
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
(19 Votes)
| 69878 Views
| 1 Comments
| Comments 1
Date Added: 21st December 2012
Software used:
3ds Max, Photoshop, ZBrush, Misc

Tunic Texturing

I used random cloth texture as a base and blurred it to get basic color variations. This blurred texture was placed on top of the occlusion layer in Multiply mode. The occlusion is in Normal mode. Then I used a cloth pattern, which was also used in ZBrush with Noise Maker, to make details for the normal map. Then I added some dirt textures as overlay to break the perfect and clean look. I added lots of different color corrections, and some brown-orange color to break the green look. The color was added in Normal blending mode, but with opacity of around 70%, and I used a soft, large brush with low opacity of around 30%. Finally I copied the AO, placed it on top and masked it with a black color. Then I painted white in the mask channel in the places where I wanted my highlights to be. The Highlight layer was set to around 70% opacity. That is pretty much it (Fig.08).

1640_tid_fig08.gif
Fig. 08

This is a low poly version of the tunic with the texture applied in the Marmoset engine (Fig. 09).

1640_tid_fig09.jpg
Fig. 09


Head Texturing

I did the retopology for the high poly head in Topogun. Then I unwrapped the head in Max and used Xnormal to bake my cavity, convexity and occlusion maps. These maps were used as a starting point for the face texture.

Next I opened Photoshop and loaded the occlusion map. I used it as a guide for making the first layer of the head texture. The first layer was the photo image, which was done by combining and stitching various photos from different face images from the 3D.sk website (Fig.10).

1640_tid_fig10.jpg
Fig.10



 
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Project Overview: Oravores



Keywords: character, oraveres, alien, mass effect,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (32)
Comments 4 Views 73973

Tutorial

Making Of 'Old Man'



Keywords: character, face, man, old,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 4 Views 137084

Tutorial

Making Of 'Wasp Woman Returns'



Keywords: character, creature, wasp, woman, scene,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 41866

Tutorial

Making Of 'Future Worker (low-poly)'



Keywords: character, head, face, human, male, worker,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 46442
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 174244, pid: 0) Neil on Mon, 31 December 2012 3:47pm
Very clean work, and a great break down thank you
Add Your Comment