During the photography stage, we worked on the background using the same basic lighting setup to keep the same illumination in both created images (Fig.03).
To simulate the photograph's lighting we used a big, weak, blue VRaylight on the right (as the Beauty Disk), a smaller, white VRaylight in the center (the Octa Bank) and a mix of Omni lights for the candles with a small, but really strong, VRayLight plane (just like the Strobe light).
We created a very simple background containing a cracked wallpaper texture, a luxurious candelabrum and a curtain - just like Marie Antoinette reference painting.
For the cracked wall, we used a V-Ray blend material with a base wallpaper texture and another one for the exposed bricks. To make the bricks more realistic was used a V-Ray Displace mod with the image of the bricks (Fig.04).
The render process took about five hours (including the five render phases)(Fig.05).
To fill the empty frame created at the 3D stage, we created a portrait of a scary, blind, middle-aged baron. This took two working days (Fig.06 - 07).