Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our bi-weekly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

 

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'Asteroid N351'

By Ruslan 'ars' Anisimov
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
(1 Votes)
| 41130 Views
| 1 Comments
| Comments 1
Date Added: 30th December 2010
Software used:
3ds Max, Photoshop, ZBrush

Lighting and materials

The material of the guys was a VRay material with the following settings (Fig.04). In the diffuse channel I used two similar diffuse maps with different output settings. The material of the chairs was the same, with just other colors of a falloff map in the reflect channel.

1381_tid_vray_material_settings_fig4.jpg
Fig. 04

The material of planet and stars was a little bit different. I decided to use a VRay blend material. The coat material was almost the same as the material I used for the guys/chairs, along with a VRay fastsss base material with the following settings (Fig.05).

1381_tid_vray_belnd_material_settings_fig5.jpg
Fig. 05

For lighting I used two VRay spheres and even two VRay suns (I decided that in space there could even 10 of them!) with different parameters and some objects excluded. Here's a schematic (Fig.06).


1381_tid_vray_lighting_fig6.jpg
Fig. 06

Rendering

Here are the settings of VRay for the final render (Fig.07). I used HSV exponential color mapping type because I didn't want to get a very contrasting picture that gave linear multiply and, at the same time, I wanted to save the pretty bright colors which can be lost while using exponential color mapping.

For the environment I used pictures of a dark night sky (something like a gradient from dark blue to dark violet). It gave me a nice bluish tint for the picture. The irradiance map was set to high and the light cache was 600 subdivs. There were a lot of render elements having been rendered, but it doesn't mean that I used them all - it's never late to delete some of them!

1381_tid_vray_settings_fig7.jpg
Fig. 07



 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

3D Studio Max Face Replacement Tutorial Series



Keywords: animation, face, replacement,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star halfrating star nonerating star nonerating star none (6)
Comments 0 Views 53594

Tutorial

Making Of 'Shark' - Animation



Keywords: character, shark, animation, max,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 27804

Tutorial

Reactor Collision



Keywords: reactor, collision, max, animation,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 16241

Tutorial

Pinbox: Part 2 - Animating



Keywords: pin, box, object, animation, max,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
Comments 0 Views 12159
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 85249, pid: 0) Ian Lloyd Dela Cruz on Thu, 09 February 2012 10:52am
i love your styyyyle. (with high pitched intonation)
Add Your Comment