Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our bi-weekly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

 

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making of 'Reform'

By Donát Somogyi
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(1 Votes)
| 46951 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 5th November 2009
Software used:
3ds Max
133_tid_reform.jpg

Introduction


Once when I was driving through my town, I discovered an old agricultural factory. This abandoned place kick-started my imagination; the massive structure on the top of the garage and the whole feeling of the place made me feel, quite simply, spellbound. I later returned to the scene and took some photographs to use as reference images, and I worked on the environment for several months in my free time.

References


I started the project, first of all, by collecting some information about the factory and the structural elements on top of the building. This place was actually a sawmill, and at the top of the garage is a sawdust collector. As previously mentioned, I took some photos as reference images, but I also looked for other images to inspire me and to get some interesting ideas. I searched for images and references for not only the shapes, but also for the lighting and texturing (Fig.01 and Fig.02). And, of course, I collected some blueprints for the van that I wished to incorporate into the scene.

133_tid_fig01.jpg
Fig. 01

133_tid_fig02.jpg
Fig. 02

Modelling

All models were created in 3ds Max using editable poly geometry - a simple and easy way to model. I started with the sawmill collectors; they began as cylindrical objects, and I used the most standard tools to modify them, for example: extrude, chamfer, (target) weld, cut and so on. Here is some of the modelling work shown in wireframe (Fig.03 - Fig.05).

133_tid_fg03.jpg
Fig. 03

133_tid_fig04.jpg
Fig. 04

133_tid_fig05.jpg
Fig. 05



Moving onto the modelling of the van, I set up the blueprints on planes, starting from the front of the van, forming a simple plane. I extruded the edges and moved the vertices to achieve a nice overall shape (Fig.06). After I finished the model, I started to give a more worn and used look to the van; some objects got an optimise modifier, which made it easier to apply damage (Fig.07).

133_tid_fig06.jpg
Fig. 06

133_tid_fig07.jpg
Fig. 07

For the grass I used several types of grass strands, scattered with Advanced Painter action item. The plants were handmade from cylinders, scattered nails and spheres; one of the plants was from Xfrog - deformed and modified to suit my scene. To finish off the vegetation, I used an ivy generator to achieve an abandoned feeling.


 
1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Making Of 'Bridge to Avalon'



Keywords: scene, landscape, bridge, tree,

Go to tutorial
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (0)
Comments 0 Views 42652

Tutorial

Star Wars Episode 2 - The recreation of the final scene



Keywords: star, wars, epidosde, two, scene, landscape,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 18780

Tutorial

Making Of 'Focke-Wulf crashed in the snow'



Keywords: scene, landscape, crash, snow, plane,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 1 Views 55279

Tutorial

Making of 'Once Upon a Time...'



Keywords: car, road, landscape, grass, police,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 11 Views 53586
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment